Introducing the Dragon SKILLZ Program!
Martial arts training that targets the students stage of development in a manner that adapts to their adventurous attitude and youthful nature while at the same time building skills that set them up for success. This “Golden Age” of development is perfect for learning core martial arts skills which will benefit them throughout their life. Character development which will enable resistance to peer pressure, and form the foundation for good choices begins here.
They are proficient in their vocabulary and problem-solving skills, yet they are not at the age where they want complete independence from adults. This makes the teacher-student relationship stronger than ever.
Dragon SKILLZ Explained- Progression Goals for White Belt
- AGILITY: Switching feet and kicking the pad with their front leg. They must be able to switch feet and kick a pad with their front leg ten times in a row, without making a mistake or looking sloppy, in order to pass.
- TECHNIQUE: Demonstrating the three stage 1 block’s and three stage 1 strikes from memory. They must show the proper chambers and ending position for all of the moves in order to pass.
- COURAGE: Dodging targets that are thrown at them from five steps away. They must be able to dodge five targets in a row in order to pass.
- FLEXIBILITY: Holding middle splits. They must be able to hold the middle splits for 30 seconds without falling in order to pass.
- INTENSITY: Palm strike board break. They must break a board with a palm strike in three shots or less in order to pass.
- PERSEVERANCE: Holding each static leg, arm, abdominal and core exercise. They must not lose technique or else they have to start over. They must hold each exercise for no less than ten seconds in order to pass.
- SPEED: Demonstrating the 8-move kickboxing combination. They must perform the kickboxing combination with proper technique three times in a row in fifteen seconds or less in order to pass.
- CONCENTRATION: Performing combinations 1 – 5 of the stage 1 form. They must perform each move with proper chambers and execution in order to pass.
How We Work-
- We cover one skill per class in order.
- In each class, we run a warm-up; deliver a mat chat about the skill; run two or three skill-building drills; have them demonstrate the skill to earn their skill-stripe.
- They must earn all 8 skill-stripes in order to graduate to the next belt level.
- Once they earn their next belt they will continue to run through all 8 skills earning their skill-stripes with more challenging curriculum as they advance to each rank.
- They graduate to the Dragon Flight SKILLZ program after they have successfully completed all 9 belt ranks of the Dragon SKILLZ Program.